Playwriter and director ,stage installation design :Yuan-Tang Chen



I am Yuan-Tang,Chen , I came from Taiwan. I graduated from National University of Tainan with a Masters degree in Arts from the Department of Drama Creation and Application. Currently, I am pursuing my doctoral degree in Design at the Chung Yuan Christian University, Taiwan. I am a mother of two, a lecturer in Providence University, Taiwan and a theatre artist. JX(Jing-Xiang), a Taichung local theatre group of Taiwan, was established in 2012 by me. For my ideal of theatre, JX(Jing-Xiang), in Chinese, integrates the idea of local landscape with a focus in contemporary art. The aim is to introduce talented Avant-garde artists and their ideas to audiences.My goal is to peel away our outer shells to reveal our hearts' desire to show the world the land of my birth and to connect with people of all backgrounds.I am an independent artist, the way of completing my idea is developing from nothing.I care about the relationship of people and language/words , how people (especially artists )present/pretend through it? Is there any boundary between truths and lies? Future more, I care about the “landscape” of heart/inside and environment /outside,which is the reflection and metaphor. 


In 2012, I wrote and directed a play named You Have No Name in the Night Which Is Losing Words.  Then, I got married and had two children so that I stopped theatre work and changed to writing art and performance’s critics for 5 years. In 2017, I wrote, directed, and designed the stage of my second play, The Oracle, the Evening.  Both plays were performed by JX (Jing-Xiang). The Oracle, the Evening received an award from NTT (National Taichung Theater) on 2017. In the plays, my aim was to connect the written words with the audience by creating a landscape on stage.  The goal was to entice the audience to be submerged in the imagery and sound of the play. This play will be reproduced and performed at the National Taichung Theater in 2019. I try to deal with contemporary aphasia by denying myself and by survival anxiety, as Alberto Giacometti, the great artist, who always questioned his painting, leaving only his works of the process and the flow of meaning to the vast linguistic symbols. I also decided to turn my self-analysis into theatre art. I will continue to observe the artists' thoughts and creations as well as the author's insight and process.Due to the absence of Taiwan’s history in my education causing by the political conflicts and the crisis of self-identification, I hope to solve the crisis of my own survival and continue to research the artist’s internal transformation as the theme materials. On 2018, my new projects of theatre were awarded by National Culture and Arts Foundation and Ministry of Culture in Taiwan, which is about an Eastern Gouache artist Lin Chin-Chu , who is a Taiwanese and was born in Taichung which is the same birthplace as mine. And he was very active between the years of 1960 and 2000 in the field of Eastern Gouache as a symbol artist in Taiwan’s visual art development in the past. I would like to write a script about him as the axis and then expand the cultural landscape and the changing in the Taichung city and Taiwan's turbulent colonial history. Based on the Genius Loci of it, it will reveal the concept of boundary movement and local humanity which trigger the audience's orientation and identification that blend the characters of inner reflection in my personal creation and form a sense of the time and sentimental awareness.However, I plan to push further and spread from the landscape of Taiwan. 



                                                   the interview video:






      The Awards 

         


留言